Jewish cemetery in Währing

Links to the project


About the history of the Jewish cemetery Währing there are now extensive, also available online for the most part literature. We therefore limit ourselves in this regard only to the most important information.

Der jüdische Friedhof Währing ist der zweitälteste jüdische Friedhof Wiens. Die Sanitätsverordnung Kaiser Josefs II. von 1784 hatte aus hygienischen Gründen Friedhöfe innerhalb des Linienwalls verboten und zur Auflösung des ältesten jüdischen Friedhofes von Wien, dem in der Seegasse, geführt. Der nun angelegte jüngere Friedhof in Währing wurde zwischen 1784 und 1879 belegt. Nach der Schließung des Friedhofes in Währing fanden die meisten Begräbnisse auf dem alten israelitischen Friedhof beim 1. Tor des Zentralfriedhofs, ab 1917 auch beim 4. Tor, statt (mehr Informationen zum Friedhof etwa auf “geschichtewiki.wien.gv.at“.

The still preserved oldest grave stone at the Jewish cemetery Währing is that of Simon Salomon Sinzheim, He died on April 13, 1784 emaciation and exhaustion (!) And was the nephew of Loeb Sinzheim, one of the most important court agents and Viennese Jewish financiers of the 18th century.

Die Belegung des Währinger Friedhofs spiegelt die gesamte soziale Breite der jüdischen Bevölkerung Wiens im 19. Jahrhundert wider: Bedeutende, sogar geadelte Familien wie Arnstein, Wertheimstein und Todesco sind hier begraben, und am anderen Ende der Leiter Hausierer, Bettler und die verachteten Schnapsbrenner und Schankwirte, die “Branntweiner”, wie sie in Wien genannt wurden. Ihre Herkunftsorte umfassen die gesamte Landkarte der habsburgischen Monarchie sowie viele deutsche Städte.

Martha Keil, of barons and Branntweinern (Original: Martha Keil, Elke Forisch, Ernst Scheiber (Hg):... Monuments - Jewish cemeteries in Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland Hg Club Lower Austria, Institute for the History of Jews in Austria, Vienna 2006, p 54-59. )

The plan of the Jewish Community of Vienna, in 1900 to reshape the Jewish cemetery Währing in a public park, should have prompted employees of the Jewish community to write off all grave inscriptions. The approximately 9,500 copies were found in the Central Archives of the Jewish People in Jerusalem.
The copies were a few years later by the archivist of the Jewish community, Dr. Pinkas Heinrich (Born October 25, 1865 in Iasi (dt .: Jassy, ​​fourth largest city in Romania), responsible to Vienna, d. 02 December 1932 in Vienna) revised. And really meticulous revised: Because Henry corrected not only the Abschreibefehler on the leaves, but also the mistakes that caused the stonemasons at the Hebrew grave inscriptions. That this procedure had to soon lead to disagreements with the leadership of the Jewish community, is obvious, were nevertheless in particular the costs incurred by the applied Heinrich corrections to the stonemasons and, if re-passed mistake, repeated corrections, sometimes too high ...
For us today, the revisions Henry invaluable because he corrected not only the transcripts for errors and took account of rows justice but also many biographical notes, especially based on the Book of the Dead, a grudge on the leaves.
each of us put on line grave stone you will also scan the transcript (if any) with the corrections / additions of Dr. Pinkas Heinrich.

Nota bene: Without the copies and the corrections and additions by Dr. Pinkas Heinrich it would be impossible today in very many graves to assign it correctly!


The inconspicuous grave stone of Dr. Pinkas Henry is located in the Central Cemetery, Gate IV, Group 14, row 9 stone 44 (incidentally, only a few meters from the tombs of from the Jewish cemetery Währing exhumed and at the Central Cemetery Wiederbestatteten, see below). Dr. Henry was unmarried, the funeral was paid by its insurance. The Hebrew inscription is very short, but she does justice to the scholars:

The perfect way to researchers,
Morenu (our teacher and master) Pinkas Heinrich.
E (r died) on 3 Kislev 693 (= 02 December 1932).
S (the soul) m (ÖGE be involved) i (m bundle) d (it life).


Jewish cemetery in Währing and Eisenstadt

Many grave stones of the Jewish cemetery Währing lead us to Eisenstadt. Families from Vienna moved to Eisenstadt, the next or next generation of these families and other families from Eisenstadt to Vienna. Sun is about Heinrich (Zvi Hirsch) Janowitz secure in Eisenstadt on 18 March 1838 was small traders in Vienna, died there on July 26, 1866 and is buried at the Jewish cemetery in Währing. His pure Hebrew grave inscription indicates the place of origin:

S (ohn the) wonderful Rabbinical, our teacher and master Jacob Janowitz by the inhabitants of the holy Jewish community Eisenstadt.

father Jacob ben Mendel Janowitz, D. 1872, is, as three of his sisters and two of his brothers, The older Jewish cemetery, mother Johanna Lea Chana Janowitz, D. 1902, and sister Catherine, married. Austerlitz, D. 1921, are buried at younger Jewish cemetery in Eisenstadt.
buried Also on older Jewish cemetery are the Paternal grandparents, Mendel Janowitz, D. 1832, and Katharina Gütel Janowitz, D. 1841, and the Maternal grandparents, Alexander Süßkind ben Rafael Pollak Mühledorf, D. 1853 Maria Mirl Pollak, gest. 1873.

Eisenstadt Jewish cemetery Währing but also takes us from the year 1939. Because had this spring Dr. Richard Pittioni als Leiter des “Burgenländischen Landschaftsmuseums” in Eisenstadt seinen Wunsch an die anthropologische Abteilung des Naturhistorischen Museums in Wien herangetragen, zum Zwecke “rassenkundlicher” Forschungen Grabungen an jüdischen Friedhöfen, darunter insbesondere auf dem jüdischen Friedhof Währing, durchzuführen. Im August 1939 wurde ein entsprechender Antrag von Direktor Hans Kummerlöwe beim Ministerium eingebracht.

See especially: Teschler-Nicola Maria and Margit Berner, The Department of Anthropology at the Natural History Museum in the Nazi era; Reports and Dkumentation of research and collection activities 1938-1945, p. 5

Left: In the bomb craters, countless inscription fragments that can be assembled very troublesome or assigned place.


Exkurs: Dr. Richard Pittioni

Unter besonderer Berücksichtigung Eisenstadts, des ehemaligen jüdischen Viertels, des Landesmuseums, der Wolfsammlung und unserer privaten Synagoge

The prehistorians Richard Pittioni was formative for the prehistory of the 20th century in Austria. Countless publications speak for his scientific work, awards and honors for his professional reputation. [...] Apart from technical publications, the name Pittioni appear in texts, which deal in the relevant context with the time of National Socialism. On the one hand Pittioni find it mentioned as victims of the Nazi regime, which denied the right to teach and was deported to the province, on the other hand seems Pittionis name again and again in publications in which the anthropological excavations for the extraction of skeletons as research material on Jewish cemeteries during NS time to deal with and the use of stolen Judaica.

Pittioni versuchte, den privaten Tempel Wolfs, den “Wertheimer Temple“, unter Denkmalschutz stellen zu lassen, was von der Zentralstelle für Denkmalschutz nicht genehmigt wurde, da dieser für künstlerisch und kulturell zu wenig wertvoll befunden wurde. […] Der Grund für Pittionis Bemühungen war, dass das gesamte jüdische Ghetto Eisenstadts zerstört und neu erbaut werden sollte. Am 4. April 1939 fand eine Begehung des Ghettos zur Klärung des weiteren Verfahrens mit den Gebäuden statt, bei der neben Vertretern verschiedener Stellen auch Pittioni zugegen war. Die Häuser des Ghettos wurden als verwahrlost und zur Bewohnung nicht geeignet bezeichnet, Sanierungsmaßnahmen wären zu teuer. Auch Überlegungen, den offiziellen Eisenstädter Tempel zu schützen und als jüdisches Museum einzurichten, wurde aufgrund der Lage verworfen. Allein der jüdische Friedhof und die zur Wine shop Wolf and associated buildings to the private museum Wolfs were excluded from the planned destruction.

Friedmann Ina, The prehistory Richard Pittioni (1906-1985) between 1938 and 1945, including the years of the Austro-fascism and the beginning of the Second Republic, Vienna, 2013, page 9; 46th


Intensive contacts had Pittioni, among others, the Orientalists the University of Vienna Dr. Viktor Christian, der gemeinsam mit anderen Professoren schon seit 1924 als “Hakenkreuzprossor” bezeichnet wurde (und übrigens Lehrer von Prof. Kurt Schubert war, der Christian als “philosemitischen Nazi” bezeichnete), und mit Josef Wastl, dem Leiter der Anthropologischen Abteilung des Naturhistorischen Museums. Dieser hatte 1939 die Ausstellung “Das körperliche und seelische Erscheinungbild der Juden” initiiert. Wastl war 1932 der NSDAP beigetreten und hatte eine illegale Betriebszelle am Naturhistorischen Museum gegründet, hielt einen Schulungskurs für Parteifunktionäre zum Thema Rassen- und Vererbungslehre und führte Vermessungen an Kriegsgefangenen sowie an im Wiener Stadion inhaftierten “staatenlosen” polnischen Juden, die danach ins KZ Buchenwald deportiert wurden, durch. Wastl war auch an der Hebung und Inventarisierung von Skeletten des jüdischen Friedhofs Währing beteiligt.

See Friedmann Ina, ibid, page 47; esp. footnote 365th

Between summer 1941 and spring of 1943 were carried out three phases of grave destruction and exhumations. [...]

To preserve in particular the founding fathers and deserving members of the Jewish Community in front of desecration, exhumed a group of Jews under the head of the cemetery office, Dr. Ernst Feldberg, in several stages starting in June 1941, the members of thirteen prominent families, including Nathan Arnstein, Michael Lazar Biedermann and Isak Löw Hofmann von Hofmannsthal. The bones were reburied in individual graves at the recent Jewish part of Vienna's Central Cemetery, Fourth Gate.

M. Keil, science

1941 a total of 127 persons were exhumed and reburied in two Jewish sections of Vienna's Central Cemetery, see especially Wolf-Erich Eckstein, Historical research in preparation for the restoration of graves of the 1941-42 Israelite from the Währinger cemetery exhumed and at the Central Cemetery, the fourth gate group 14a 1941-42 and 1947 Wiederbestatteten, Vienna 2015 (pdf).


Left: Hermann Todesko, wholesalers, bankers, director of the Railway Gloggnitzer born, 11.21.1791 Vienna, d. 11.23.1844, Vienna, 53 J. exhumed December 10, 1941, reburied at the Central Cemetery, Gate IV, December 16, 1941. The (unused) grave in the Jewish cemetery Währing was recently renovated.

Middle: grave Hermann Todesko at the Central Cemetery Gate IV.


On 8 January 1942, the Viennese councilors [...] approved the abandonment of all Jewish cemeteries in Vienna. Währinger cemetery was rededicated by the prudent intervention by Robert Kraus, an official of the Vienna Cultural Office, in a green area and a bird sanctuary.

M. Keil, science


Bild links: Grabinschrift Moses Aron Hönig (damals noch nicht “Hönigsberg”): In deutscher Sprache, aber mit hebräischen Buchstaben: “… Tabak- und Siegel-Gefäll Direktor…”.

Bild Mitte: Franciska (Fradl) Sulzer, geb. Hirschfeld, aus Hohenems, Ehefrau des Kantors Salomon Sulzer, gest. in Wien Stadt 494 mit 46 Jahren am 10. Juni 1855, begraben am 11. Juni 1855. Text: “Der unvergesslichen Gattin und Mutter” und “Die dankbaren Kinder” (immerhin 16!).


What happened and what did not happen?

For many years running initiatives and projects to rehabilitate the Jewish cemetery Währing and work up. We have also reported about it again and again about here.

Zwischen 1992 und 1998 lief das Projekt “The Jewish Cemetery Währing as a source for social history of Jews in Vienna 1784-1874 at the Institute for Jewish History in Austria“:

As a result of a research project of the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Culture in the years 1992-1998 an extensive database was created.

It contains 8,600 entries in the name, place of origin, address, profession, dates, cause of death and grave number of those Jews, who are buried at the Währinger Jewish cemetery. In a cooperation project with the Bar Ilan University of Tel Aviv Shlomo Spitzer and his team evaluated the grave stone inscriptions.

Unfortunately, the results have been published only in part and therefore no wider audience.
In addition, except for individual publications and regularly organized volunteer days not much has happened today.

With a notable exception:
Schon 2012 indizierte Traude Triebel alle Sterbebücher der IKG (übrigens ohne öffentlichen Auftrag und ohne Fördergelder!), die den jüdischen Friedhof Währing (Wien) betreffen, siehe dazu unseren Blogartikel “New database with approximately 29,000 entries 1784-1879“.

A much-needed serious and comprehensive reappraisal of the Jewish cemetery Währing be further delayed.

A newly formed club is now cause for hope:

2017 gründete Günther Havranek den Verein “Save the Jewish cemetery Währing“. Sprecherin des Vereins ist Dr.in Jennifer Kickert. In the Declaration of Principles states, inter alia:

Der Verein “Rettet den jüdischen Friedhof Währing” hat sich das Ziel gesetzt, die Israelitische Kultusgemeinde Wien bei den notwendigen Sanierungsmaßnahmen zu unterstützen. Dafür werden Spenden gesammelt, ein kleines Museum eingerichtet, Freiwilligenarbeit zur Reduktion des Pflanzenwuchses organisiert und regelmäßig Führungen veranstaltet, um das öffentliche Bewusstsein für diesen so bedeutsamen Ort in Wien stärken.

The Austrian Jewish Museum in Eisenstadt is happy to support the club, especially when in addition to the planned restructuring measures and a really serious and long overdue, thorough work-up of this famous cemetery, that of a unique document of the Viennese culture, art, economy and society in the period Biedermeier is going.

In concrete terms means that we successively the Hebrew grave inscriptions (there are thousands of them), transcribe and translate also possible, but in any case the most important data is read, digitize and especially publish online.

Project start: Shavuot 5779 / June of 2019.



Links to the project